Uruguay is famous for introducing corn to the world. Apart from its delicious cuisines, the tantalizing drinks produced in the country are worth combining with any meal. If you stroll into any pubs or bar in Uruguay, you will likely see groups of people with drinks on their table having the best moment of the day. Being new to the country, it might seem difficult for you to select from a variety of drinks. This list will guide you as it entails the finest drinks Uruguay has to offer.
Yerba Mate is known as the national drink of Uruguay and is also popular in other South American countries. Yerba Mate is prepared from the leaves of an evergreen tree grown in Paraguay, Brazil, and Uruguay. The best way to enjoy this delicious beverage is among friends where someone holds the gourd and bombilla (metal straw with a filter at the bottom). Yerba Mate is known to contain important health benefits that help to balance diets, which make it among the favorite drinks of people living in the country.
Some facts about Yerba Mate:
- Yerba mate is a traditional drink in Uruguay that has been consumed for centuries by the indigenous Guarani people, who called it caa-mate. They used it for spiritual ceremonies, as well as for drinking and trading with other tribes. Yerba mate comes from a tree that grows in tropical and subtropical regions of South America, and can reach up to 15 meters in height. Its leaves have a serrated edge and veins on the back. To grow, it needs habitats with high temperature, humidity, and rainfall.
- Yerba mate is prepared by filling a gourd, usually made of wood or metal, with dried leaves and stems of the plant, and adding hot water. A metal straw, called a bombilla, is used to sip the infusion. The gourd is passed around among friends and family, who share the same straw and water. This is a sign of trust and friendship, and a way of socializing and bonding. Yerba mate has a bitter and earthy taste, which can be modified by adding sugar, honey, lemon, or herbs.
- Yerba mate has many health benefits, as it contains vitamin A, antioxidants, minerals, and caffeine. It can boost the immune system, protect against colds and flu, reduce fatigue, suppress appetite, and help boost the metabolic rate. It can also improve mood, concentration, and memory. Yerba mate is also part of the cultural identity of Uruguay, and reflects its history and customs. It is consumed at any time of the day, and in any occasion, such as work, leisure, or sports. Some of the popular brands of yerba mate from Uruguay are La Selva, Canarias, and Taragüi.
If you want to taste the best beer in Uruguay, Pilsen is the best choice for you. Pilsen is one of the most popular beers in Uruguay that is a favorite of most people in the country. It is a clear beer with a very soft yellow colour. Pilsen is the ideal drink to have beside you to suite a sunny, warm weather climate. The head has excellent retention for a lager, probably spurred on the seemingly high carbonation. Pilsen is what most beers in South America are called, however Pilsen from Uruguay is one of the best. In order to make your stay in Uruguay an unforgettable experience, endeavor to have a taste of this drink.
Some facts about Pilsen (Uruguay):
- Pilsen is a brand of beer produced in Uruguay since 1866, when a German immigrant named Conrado Niding opened a brewery called La Popular. Pilsen is a clear beer with a very soft yellow colour, similar to the Sun of May on Uruguay’s flag. It has a light and refreshing taste, with a low alcohol content of 5%. Pilsen is the ideal drink to enjoy in a sunny, warm weather climate, as it is crisp and thirst-quenching.
- Pilsen is one of the most popular beers in Uruguay, and a favourite of many people in the country. It is widely available in bars, restaurants, supermarkets, and convenience stores. Pilsen is often consumed with snacks, such as peanuts, cheese, or ham. Pilsen is also a common accompaniment to the traditional Uruguayan barbecue, called asado, which consists of grilled meat, sausages, and vegetables.
- Pilsen is made with natural ingredients, such as malt, hops, yeast, and water. It follows the German Pilsner style, which is characterized by a pale colour, a floral aroma, and a bitter finish. Pilsen is brewed in a modern facility located in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay. Pilsen is proud of its history and quality, and has won several awards and recognitions, such as the Monde Selection Gold Medal in 2009 and 20101. Pilsen is more than a beer, it is a symbol of Uruguayan culture and identity.
When it comes to the vodka in Uruguay, most people in the country settle for Smirnoff. It is a brand of traditional Russian vodka and is currently the best-selling vodka in the world. You will find it in pubs and bars as well as stores throughout the country. Smirnoff comes in several varieties that you can choose from, including Smirnoff Ice, Smirnoff Twist, and Smirnoff Caipiroska. The taste gives a refreshing feeling, and having it by your side is the best way to spend a sunny day.
Some facts about Smirnoff:
- Smirnoff vodka is the leading global vodka brand, with a sales volume of about 26.5 million 9 liter cases in 202112. This is an increase of over three million cases from 2020, when Smirnoff sold 23.3 million cases.
- Smirnoff vodka is also one of the most popular spirits in the U.S., where it sold 9.3 million cases in 2020, accounting for 11.9% of the total vodka sales volume in the country. Smirnoff vodka is imported to the U.S. from various countries, such as the UK, Canada, France, and Mexico.
The arrival of summer in Uruguay prepares bartenders for another refreshing cocktail season. A wide variety of fruits and citrus, as well as the gastronomic scene, is available for you to choose from different flavors of cocktails present in the country. A popular cocktail flavor served during Christmas and New Year is Clerico. It is prepared by mixing citrus and tropical fruit salad with an alcoholic beverage, mainly red wine or white wine, some sugar, and ice.
Some facts about Clerico:
- Clerico is a refreshing drink made with wine and fruits, similar to sangria. It is a traditional summer beverage in Uruguay, as well as in Argentina and Paraguay, where it is enjoyed by many people. Clerico is an adaptation of the English Claret Cup, a cocktail or punch that was popular among the British in the 1800s.
- Clerico can be made with different types of wine, such as white, red, or rosé, depending on the preference and availability. The most common wines used in Uruguay are Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir, which are light and fruity. The wine is mixed with seasonal fruits, such as apples, pears, grapes, oranges, kiwis, peaches, pineapple, cherries, and apricots. The fruits are peeled and cut into small pieces, and then macerated with sugar and some wine in a glass jar or bowl. The mixture is refrigerated for at least two hours, or overnight, to allow the flavors to blend. Then, the rest of the wine is added, and the drink is served cold or with ice.
- Clerico is a delicious and refreshing drink that can be enjoyed on its own, or with snacks, such as cheese, ham, or nuts. It is also a perfect accompaniment to the Uruguayan barbecue, called asado, which consists of grilled meat, sausages, and vegetables. Clerico is a drink that celebrates the summer, the fruits, and the friendship of sharing a glass with loved ones.
Sangria is another option that you can settle for. The drink is prepared by combining fruits and wine; it owes its name to its color that refers to blood. Sangria is best enjoyed with friends.
Some facts about Sangria
Sangria is a popular beverage in Spain and Portugal, where it originated, and also in many Latin American countries, such as Uruguay. Sangria is usually served cold or with ice, and is ideal for hot summer days or festive occasions.
Sangria can be made with different types of wine, such as red, white, or rosé, depending on the preference and availability. The most common wine used in Uruguay is Tannat, which is a red wine with a strong and tannic flavor. The wine is mixed with seasonal fruits, such as oranges, lemons, apples, peaches, strawberries, and grapes. The fruits are washed and cut into small pieces, and then added to a large pitcher or bowl. Sugar and liquor, such as brandy, triple sec, or rum, are also added to sweeten and enhance the flavor. The mixture is stirred well and refrigerated for at least two hours, or overnight, to allow the flavors to infuse. Some people also add spices, such as cinnamon or cloves, to give a more aromatic touch.
Sangria is a delicious and refreshing drink that can be enjoyed on its own, or with snacks, such as cheese, ham, or nuts. It is also a perfect accompaniment to the Uruguayan barbecue, called asado, which consists of grilled meat, sausages, and vegetables. Sangria is a drink that celebrates the wine, the fruits, and the joy of sharing a glass with friends and family.